Industry was not able to figure out what the employees actually want from them. Why the employees were jumping the ship at the drop of a hat. It was difficult for them to understand as "What the youth want?".
The HR honchos from all over India were hunting for answers even less than six months back. Employers were finding it very difficult to trust an employee. The question was - "Will he stay with me long enough to complete this project?"
And suddenly, the situation has taken a u-turn. Companies are laying off their "talent bank" for which they fought so ferociously. The guy who walks out of office today is not sure, if his job is here to stay when he reaches office the next day. The morale is at all time low. Employees are finding it difficult to trust an employer. The question is - "Will he sack me today?"
This is an environment of extremes and uncertainty. This is an environment of relationship without trust. And, this is going to worsen with every cycle on up-and-down.
So, Who is to be blame? And more importantly, how this cycle can be broken? OR, Can this be at all checked?
In my opinion,This environment is a result of a number of social-commercial factors, like:
- Employee side:
- Desire for overnight riches and i-want-to-retire-young mindset.
- Career objective not properly defined. (Corollary: Objective=money)
- Peer pressure. Comparison of lifestyle. Increase in jealousy.
- Spending more than the earning!
- Gaining experience without gaining competence (i.e. 12 years of experience looked like 1 year of real experience repeated 12 times over! - which eventually remains 1 year of experience).
- Employer Side:
- Inexperienced and poor management
- Unavailability of proper HR professionals (Hint: NOT those people who think HR = headhunting)
- Treating employees as commodities .
- Not sticking to the basics .
- Lack of strategic insight into one’s business .
- Lack of strategic leadership which think about employee satisfaction comprehensively.
Currently this problem has reached a transitory end until the market recession.
However, this problem needs to be quickly addressed. Otherwise, it will result in more bankruptcies, more stress, disturbed lives, social crime and poor results. To resolve this, both sides need to take imperative corrective actions(i will be soon posting and play with your jussive mood).
"It is our wits that make us men"